It’s almost Christmas, and that means it’s almost time for Olympia! Here are our top tips for what to see & do at the show #OlympiaHorse #equinejob
Written on December 11, 2017 at 10:54 am
The days are dark, there’s snow on the ground and lights on every building… it’s Christmas time, and that means it’s time for Olympia International Horse Show! Here are our tips for how to make the most of your time at the event this year.
1. AP McCoy’s Flat vs. Jump Jockeys Showjumping Challenge He may be retired, but AP still has the will to win! This year the champion jockey is back to lead his team of jump jockeys to (what he hopes will be) victory against the team from the flat in a showjumping challenge that has become one of the highlights of Olympia. Catch the action, raising funds for the Injured Jockey’s Fund, on Friday 15th December.
2. FEI World Cups There are an amazing three FEI World Cups taking place at this year’s show. Tuesday 12th and Wednesday 13th December will see the Dressage competitions play out (Grand Prix and Freestyle to Music respectively), whilst the Driving action is set for Saturday 16th. The final Cup will be decided amongst the showjumpers on Sunday 17th. These competitions are a must-see for anyone who loves watching top-level sport.
3. Extreme Driving This high-octane driving competition blows ideas of genteel carriage horses out of the water. The world’s top four-in-hand drivers compete at high speed around a twisting and tricky course, often with just centimetres to spare. Catch this show favourite on Thursday 17th December.
4. Under 23s Championships This class is the perfect opportunity to see the showjumping stars of tomorrow in action, with the best of the world’s young riders turning up to compete. If the talent and success of last year’s winner Jessica Mendoza is anything to go by, the level of competition here is sure to be fierce.
5. The shopping village The perfect opportunity (and excuse…) to make the most of show offers and fill up on goodies (especially last-minute Christmas presents!). From clothing, tack, feed, bedding and more, you’ll be able to find anything you could possibly want for yourself
and your equine charges at this year’s 200+ trade stands.
6. The Pony Club Mini-Major International Showjumping class Every year, Olympia invites 8 lucky Pony Club members to participate in a unique showjumping challenge that pairs up talented youngsters with today’s top competitors. The teams compete in an accumulator competition where each competitor is timed around a course of fences (smaller, of course, for the 128cm pony riders) and the pair with the fastest grouped time wins. It’s a very fun class for spectators and riders alike!
← Go Back